Limenaria, Seaside Villages of Thassos
Thassos Seaside Villages, Coastal Villages
Limenaria is the second largest town in Thassos with a population of 2500 approximately. Its distance from Limenas is 38 kilometres.
It flourished during the beginning of 1900 when the large mining operation commenced by the German corporation “Speidel”. Its population began rising after the arrival of residents of the mountainous village of Kastro and the settlement of refugees from Asia Minor and Thrace.
In a distance of 2 kilometers far from Limenaria, there is a village called Kalyvia. It was significantly expanded due to the habitants that came from Kastro and refugees. The name of the village comes from the Greek word “καλύβα”, which means “hut”. The appellation was given to the village because of the huts that had been constructed during the era of transfer of the residents. The village faced huge financial growth at the period of mining.